Skip to main content

SharePoint 2003 Restore Problem

I’ve blogged about this before, but I managed to loose the document from my server. I’ve had lots of emails requesting the document. So I’ll try to keep this short and sweet.

I encountered a problem when restoring a SharePoint 2003 portal to a newly built server.

All three SharePoint databases were stored on a SQL cluster and we relied upon backups of the SQL server for disaster recovery.

A failure on the SharePoint server required us to re-build another server and restore the SharePoint portal. We’d done this a number of times before with no problems, but on this occasion, we received the error “Unable to find entry for Portal Site” when restoring.

As this was a newly built server we instantly thought there was corruption in the SQL Databases. We restored them from a backup before the failure occurred with no success. We then moved backward to a weekly backup from five days before the failure, still with no success. We had earlier backups but didn’t roll back further because the data in them would be too far out of date for a useful recovery.

With no obvious solutions found on the Internet we turned to Microsoft. They spent some time with us looking at the problem and came up with a document instructing us how to correctly populate a single field to allow the restore to proceed.

Solution Document from Microsoft

I know this information is for a product that is fairly out of date, but SharePoint 2003 is still has a large user base.

Comments

Robin Boer said…
I hope you can share the document as im having the same issue

Popular posts from this blog

Convert Linked Mailboxes to User Mailboxes in Bulk

My organisation has gone through a massive migration project to unify Active Directories and Exchange organisations. As a result of these migrations a lot of mailbox migrations have resulted in a lot of mailboxes ending up as linked mailboxes even though their not.The official TechNet article on this explains how to disconnect the mailbox and re-attach it to the user account correctly as a user mailbox. http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb201749(EXCHG.80).aspxAnother way to make this appear to be corrected is to manually change the “Recipient Type” AD property on the affected mailboxes. This though, is unsupported.Using the official method from Microsoft results in the loss of any specific mailbox information such as SMTP, x400 & x500 addresses, mailbox sizes and any other individual mailbox settings.Only e-mail addresses and mailbox sizes were important to me (I must admit, I forgot about mailbox sizes at first). I came up with the script below that would properly conver…

Creating a Windows PE 3 Bootable USB device

I’ve used Windows PE for a long time. And I’ve grown to love it. It’s an extremely useful tool, not just for OS installation, but for diagnostics.Since there’s a version of WinPe for x64 & x86 (& itanium) I like to keep both x64 & x86 on my USB stick. Essentially copying the each version to the root of the USB stick as needed. Meaning at any one time I have three copies of WinPE on my USB stick. Other applications I copy directly to my USB stick, so that I don’t have to remount the image every time i need another application added.Shortly after Windows 7 was released came a new version of WinPE, WinPE 3.0 on the Windows Automated Installation Kit.Preparing the USB stick. You’ll need to prepare the USB stick. To do this open a command prompt using Run As Administrator and use the following commands.diskpart
list disk
select disk 7
clean
create partition primary
select partition 1
active
format quick fs=fat32
assign
exitMake sure…

Upgrading Exchange 2007 Clusters to SP2 – Workaround

I posted last month about a problem delegating installs of Exchange 2007 SP2. Delegated Admins will receive an error message stating the following…You must be a member of the 'Exchange Organization Administrators' or 'Enterprise Administrators' group to continue.Have been looking into the issue and have had a case open with Microsoft. Turns out that you only get this issue on a fully patched server. If you try upgrading or installing as a delegated admin on a fresh install of either server 2008 or 2003 you don’t see the problem either with Exchange SP1 or SP2. I haven’t had time to identify exactly what patch causes this yet, if I’ll bother at all.If you have patched your server though, MS came up with this workaround.Disable update checking for the BPA by heading into the registry and HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Exchange\ExBPA and either creating or modifying a DWORD named “VersionCheckAlways” and set it to ‘0’Copy the installation files to a local drive and replace Setup…