Skip to main content


Showing posts from November, 2009

Geographically Dispersed CCR Cluster

I recently had the opportunity to install a geographically dispersed CCR Exchange 2007 cluster. Server 2008’s cluster features can now handle clusters on separate subnet’s making the fact that the only data centres available were operating on Layer 3 wasn’t a problem. I didn’t need to stretch a VLAN across physical sites.Configuring the networking for the cluster went slightly against the grain for me. Essentially the Private networking element has gone for these types of clusters, because all traffic, heartbeat and all has to go over the public network. That said, it was a simple process. I configured the networking using four NIC’s, three were teamed and another was on its own but it was set not to register in DNS. I didn’t want client traffic coming over the single NIC.When you set up the cluster you simply enter two IP addresses that the cluster can use, and on failover, one, the one that’s not on the subnet the active node is in, will stay offline, sounds nice doesn’t it, but wai…

Duplicate legacyExchangeDN Properties

Had a case recently that wasn’t immediately obvious to resolve.We had reports of a user that no one was able to e-mail due to duplicate addressing. At first look there was no duplicate addresses on the object. We were receiving the following NDR’sThere is a problem with the recipient's e-mail system. More than one user has this e-mail address. The recipient's system administrator will have to fix this. Microsoft Exchange will not try to redeliver this message for you. Please provide the following diagnostic text to your system administrator and then try resending the message after the problem has been resolved.IMCEAEX-_O=ORGNAME_OU=EXCHANGE+20ADMINISTRATIVE+20GROUP+20+28FYDIBOHF23SPDLT+29_CN=RECIPIENTS_CN=NAME+2ESURNAME@DOMAIN.SUFFIX
#550 5.1.4 RESOLVER.ADR.Ambiguous; ambiguous address ##Further investigations showed that there was a problem with the way that the user was shown in the Exchange Address Books. It seemed as though the object was being confused with another …

Upgrading Exchange 2007 Clusters to SP2

In the Exchange Organisation I look after at work, we have quite a few Exchange Clusters. We have SCR & SCC clusters across multiple sites and ran by different subordinate administrators.With the release of SP2 for Exchange 2007 we went about testing implementing SP2 and getting it rolled out. Unfortunately, our test lab doesn’t include any clusters, something we’ll have to address now, but I digress.We installed SP2 on the Exchange servers we manage ourselves without issue, again, no clusters.When it came time for the local admins to install SP2, they hit a problem on their Exchange Clusters. Following the steps described in this Technet Article - the attempts failed with the following error…You must be a member of the 'Exchange Organization Administrators' or 'Enterprise Administrators' group to continue.on inspection of the ExchangeSetup.log the prerequisites check failed with the following error.[ERROR] T…