Skip to main content

Upgrading Exchange 2007 Clusters to SP2

In the Exchange Organisation I look after at work, we have quite a few Exchange Clusters. We have SCR & SCC clusters across multiple sites and ran by different subordinate administrators.

With the release of SP2 for Exchange 2007 we went about testing implementing SP2 and getting it rolled out. Unfortunately, our test lab doesn’t include any clusters, something we’ll have to address now, but I digress.

We installed SP2 on the Exchange servers we manage ourselves without issue, again, no clusters.

When it came time for the local admins to install SP2, they hit a problem on their Exchange Clusters. Following the steps described in this Technet Article - http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb676320.aspx the attempts failed with the following error…

You must be a member of the 'Exchange Organization Administrators' or 'Enterprise Administrators' group to continue.

on inspection of the ExchangeSetup.log the prerequisites check failed with the following error.

[ERROR] The operation could not be performed because object '<server>' could not be found on domain controller '<domaincontroller>.<domain>'.

The install works fine with Exchange Organisational Administrator permissions, but it’s not ideal to go around each cluster and do it ourselves, we have quite a few and don’t want the blame for any subsequent failures.

We logged a call with Microsoft over a week ago now, and have been troubleshooting with them. They can reproduce our problem in their labs. Until then, it looks like we’ll have to upgrade the clusters ourselves.

I’ll post an update as soon as / if Microsoft come back to us with a solution.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Convert Linked Mailboxes to User Mailboxes in Bulk

My organisation has gone through a massive migration project to unify Active Directories and Exchange organisations. As a result of these migrations a lot of mailbox migrations have resulted in a lot of mailboxes ending up as linked mailboxes even though their not.The official TechNet article on this explains how to disconnect the mailbox and re-attach it to the user account correctly as a user mailbox. http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb201749(EXCHG.80).aspxAnother way to make this appear to be corrected is to manually change the “Recipient Type” AD property on the affected mailboxes. This though, is unsupported.Using the official method from Microsoft results in the loss of any specific mailbox information such as SMTP, x400 & x500 addresses, mailbox sizes and any other individual mailbox settings.Only e-mail addresses and mailbox sizes were important to me (I must admit, I forgot about mailbox sizes at first). I came up with the script below that would properly conver…

Creating a Windows PE 3 Bootable USB device

I’ve used Windows PE for a long time. And I’ve grown to love it. It’s an extremely useful tool, not just for OS installation, but for diagnostics.Since there’s a version of WinPe for x64 & x86 (& itanium) I like to keep both x64 & x86 on my USB stick. Essentially copying the each version to the root of the USB stick as needed. Meaning at any one time I have three copies of WinPE on my USB stick. Other applications I copy directly to my USB stick, so that I don’t have to remount the image every time i need another application added.Shortly after Windows 7 was released came a new version of WinPE, WinPE 3.0 on the Windows Automated Installation Kit.Preparing the USB stick. You’ll need to prepare the USB stick. To do this open a command prompt using Run As Administrator and use the following commands.diskpart
list disk
select disk 7
clean
create partition primary
select partition 1
active
format quick fs=fat32
assign
exitMake sure…

Upgrading Exchange 2007 Clusters to SP2 – Workaround

I posted last month about a problem delegating installs of Exchange 2007 SP2. Delegated Admins will receive an error message stating the following…You must be a member of the 'Exchange Organization Administrators' or 'Enterprise Administrators' group to continue.Have been looking into the issue and have had a case open with Microsoft. Turns out that you only get this issue on a fully patched server. If you try upgrading or installing as a delegated admin on a fresh install of either server 2008 or 2003 you don’t see the problem either with Exchange SP1 or SP2. I haven’t had time to identify exactly what patch causes this yet, if I’ll bother at all.If you have patched your server though, MS came up with this workaround.Disable update checking for the BPA by heading into the registry and HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Exchange\ExBPA and either creating or modifying a DWORD named “VersionCheckAlways” and set it to ‘0’Copy the installation files to a local drive and replace Setup…